Member meeting 5/20/2017

From Makerspace Mobile Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Proposed agenda for General Member Meeting to be held 5/20/2017 11am at Exchange 202

Officer reports

What have you accomplished over the last month, what are you going to do next, are there any roadblocks/risks.

President - Met with Todd and John with Exchange 202, where we are meeting today. Met with Mike Rogers with Rogers and Willard. Went to Launchpad finale at the Explorium and met several people in the industry.

Vice President - Signed up two new members.

Secretary - Finished school. Started back on Thursday night, started tweaking the Rostock v2 printer.

Treasurer - Brian gave treasury report earlier and is at Hangout.

Marketing - Pushing info through social media. We need a dedicated marketing person. Maybe start attending AIGA meetings again. Todd recommended getting in touch with Dr. Patricia Marks and her student agency called Tideline at USA.

Membership - 3 new members last month. 4 Associate, 1 student, 10 full members. 1 member is behind 1 month. Discussed possibility of paying per visit for those that don't seem to want to keep a membership subscription due to many members no keeping up with the group and only coming in periodically. This was decided to not be a good idea. Discussed a punch card for purchasing a numb er of visits.

Old Business

Shop inventory update (Josh) - Any further action needed? Josh will go through things that still need updated. Need to add new welding equipment.

Doorbell update (Dana) - no progress - rain and visitors on hosting nights. Still needs wiring.

Help with Mobicon - May 26 - 28. Mathew will attend and run a table. Needs volunteers. Rick can help on Saturday.

New Business

Presentation from John Peebles/Todd Greer regarding Exchange 202

How to create a linkage between entrepreneurs and prototyping. Makerspaces are best for this in other cities. Working with Tech Talon South out of Raleigh area to bring a coding bootcamp to the area. Wants to create a crowdsourcing platform for the Makerspace. Looking at more industrialized equipment. Sees value in having Makerspace working with the Exchange and moving into the downstairs indoor parking lot. The Exchange is already a 24/7 access place. Some members of the Exchange 202 are already tinkerers and makers. Todd believes there is an economic model that can make this work. Wants our board to discuss the option.

Josh wants to host a welding class. Dana wants more classes on tools we are not leveraging, such as the ShapeOko, which can be operated any night of the week. There are a lot of factors involved with teaching a class on things that require a certain person there to operate. We discussed hosting it to members first to understand where the problems are.

Item wishlist

  • Bigger laser cutter
  • Blue painters tape
  • Nice set of wrenches and sockets/extensions
  • Quiet spindle for ShapeOko
  • Tablesaw - looking at SawStop since the Bosch is in patent litigation
  • Drillpress
  • Lathe
  • Enclosure for Rostock

Events

June LODA ArtWalk - 6/9

Next meeting: June 24, 2017 11am - 12pm