Open main menu

Opening remarks

Meeting Opened by Rick Green on 8/21/2021 11:00am

Member attendance: Rick, Kat, Ethel, Neminda, Matthew, Greg, James, Steve

Visitor attendance: Doug and Jack Watson

Officer reports

What have you accomplished since the last meeting

  • President - Rick Green
    • Hosting on Monday and Friday nights. Cannot do Mondays any more due to start of new semester.
    • Organized the electronics workbench. Still in progress.
    • Registered several new members. Gave several tours.
    • Participated in Artwalk and Maker Social. 4 visitors, I think 2 signed up.
    • Hosted a 3D printing workshop and Retro computing group.
  • Vice President - Kat Steel
    • Hosted Tuesday nights
    • Covering Thursday nights for Ray
    • Getting a new Laser cutter/engraver with rotation piece.
  • Secretary - NA
    • test text
    • test text
  • Treasurer - Brian Wright - Financial report for July 2021
    • Gross income: $5309.98
    • Gross expense: $2749.73
    • Net income: $2560.25
    • Current Balance: $4819.49
    • Notes: Donations totaled $3400 in July.
      • We need more members, donations, and other funding opportunities (Grants).
    • Financial report link here: File:Treasury Report 2021-08-21.pdf
  • Membership -
    • Numbers report for July 2021
      • 38 memberships - 41 Full members, 8 Family member add-ons, 9 student/retired
    • Total: 58 active members

Host and Volunteer reports

  • Hosts
    • Monday (Rick): 1 - 2
    • Tuesday (Kat): 2 - 3
    • Thursday (Ray): 2 - 3
    • Wednesday night (Matthew): 2 - 3
    • Friday night: 5 - 10
    • Sunday (Barbara): 2 - 3. Open from 12pm - 3pm.
    • Any issues
      • Cleanliness is getting better. Some drill bits have been misplaced.
  • Marketing -
    • Brian has been posting on Instagram and targeted ads on Facebook.
    • Rick is posting on Facebook, Meetup, Reddit and the Web site.
    • Hosts - send photos to Brian to post online.

Old Business

  • Previous meeting minutes here: http://makerspacemobile.org/wiki/index.php/Member_meeting_7/17/2021
  • Artwalk for August was well attended, but hot. Thanks to Matthew for helping out on the breakdown, but I hurt my back badly with the Izzy Swan table demos.
  • The wood in the parking lot was was moved back to the building across from us.
  • James is making more progress on the new CNC.
  • Ray drew up a plan for the changes needed for the metal working area. Go over them with everyone for feedback.
    • Ideas voted in for increasing income (June business meeting):
      • Charge for lockers. Suggest $15/mo for large lockers, $10/mo for smaller lockers, $5/mo for square lockers, $10/mo for a laundry basket/bin sized container to go on the shelf in the closet (will need to clean the closet). Need to coordinate with treasurer on how we will collect this.
    • Sell excess/unused stuff, or sell things we make/build. Need a plan of action for this. Matthew offered to host a class on pricing items, using Etsy and e-bay.
  • Events
    • 3D Printing enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Retro Computer enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Planning a welding class to start in October when the weather cools down.
    • Doug has a acetylene torch, can bring it in and teach others by October.
  • Future Events planning
    • Need more workshops and/or workgroups to plan and put on the events calendar. Are there any nights or weekends that can be dedicated to a particular topic?
      • Hot metal night with Kat (Derek also volunteered) - Tuesdays
  • New workshop, workgroup and class ideas
    • Inkscape class. Used for vinyl cutters, embroidery machine, CNC machine, and laser cutter.
    • Tool restoration.
    • TinkerCAD class for beginners. FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, Blender, Onshape, and/or Fusion 360 classes for intermediate and advanced. Used for 3D printing.
    • Embroidery class - Ethel and Laura?
    • Sewing/costuming/cosplay class - Ethel and Laura? Kat.
    • Upholstery class
    • Vinyl cutting class - Laura?
    • Screenprinting class - Laura?
    • Wood turning, box making, dove tail joint - David?
    • Welding class - James?
    • Gaming enthusiasts (board games, arcade games, gaming development, VR) - Brian and Daryl?
    • Hacking enthusiasts (SDR, networks, computers, blockchain, etc) - Any interest?
    • Personal finance and investing enthusiasts (Barbara is interested in this).
    • Patenting and crowdfunding enthusiasts
    • Advertising - Dylan?
    • Hat boxes for military E7 chiefs call to initiation - Derek
  • Woodshop expansion
    • The doors between the two rooms will be blocked off for extra space to use in both rooms.

New Business

  • New members to be voted in: None

Equipment/supplies

  • New equipment this month
    • Pipe bending equipment
    • Heat press
    • Hat loom for the embroidery machine
    • Sheet metal for welding table top
    • Brass heated inserts for 3D printer
    • Bruce brought in the PC for the Roland sign maker
    • Capacitor checker
  • Equipment wish list
    • 220v outlet for welding machine - Tim can finance this, and is contacting an electrician.
    • New jointer would be nice. The Delta has been adjusted. Bruce bought the Craftsman jointer.
    • Large, floor standing bandsaw would be nice
    • Plasma cutter
    • Foundry (Casting liquid metal) (Kat/Westley) Will wait until the metal working area is ready.
      • Westley to bring in a Big Green Egg. Need some help getting it to the space. No gas burner - coal only.
    • Forge (knife making, aluminum casting) (Kat/Westley)
      • Need tongs, hammers, safety equipment (gloves, face shields) Westley has a crucible, blower/ductwork, fuel(charcoal), consumables
      • Kat will be in charge of safety and training of all metal working equipment
    • Plumbing for air compressor (Rick Baskin)
    • Sand-blasting cabinet (Rick Baskin)
    • Ductwork for downdraft sanding table - May be able to repurpose the one from the recalled sliding radial arm saw?
    • Ductwork for the new Delta dust collector
    • 3D Scanner. Could possibly use the Kinect.
    • Industrial sewing machine. Ethel is working on getting one - this has been confirmed, and we should have it in a couple weeks.
    • Sheet metal for welding table top - Kat is working on it
  • In need of service/repair/parts
    • Old MakerBot printer. The stepper cables between the motherboard and the extruders need replacing (at minimum).
    • Wacom screen has died. Appears to be the backlight. Looking into a repair.
    • Prusa printer had a meltdown trying to print PC. New parts in and being installed.
    • Roland Sign Maker needs some service work. Probably just needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Bruce is bringing a hardcopy of the service manual.
    • Horizontal bandsaw needs to be assembled
  • Back in service
  • Next Meeting: September 25th 2021

Meeting adjourned: 11:58am