Open main menu

Opening remarks

Meeting Opened by Rick Green on 7/17/2021 11:10am

Member attendance: Rick, Kat, Ray, Greg, Brian, Derek, Matthew

Visitor attendance:

Officer reports

What have you accomplished since the last meeting

  • President - Rick Green
    • Hosting on Monday and Friday nights.
    • Repaired Library 3D printers. Ordered and received printer parts for stock.
    • Organized the electronics workbench. Still in progress.
    • Registered several new members. Gave several tours.
    • Participated in Artwalk and Maker Social. 3 visitors.
    • Hosted a 3D printing workshop and Retro computing group.
    • Participated in the IP workshop.
  • Vice President - Kat Steel
    • Hosted Tuesday nights
  • Secretary - NA
    • test text
    • test text
  • Treasurer - Brian Wright - Financial report for June 2021
    • Gross income: $2470.36
    • Gross expense: $2701.52
    • Net income: -$231.16
    • Current Balance: $2114.41
    • Notes:
      • We need more members, donations, and other funding opportunities (Grants).
      • July report will include a $1500 donation.
    • Financial report link here: File:Treasury Report 2021-07-17.pdf
  • Membership -
    • Numbers report for June 2021
      • 38 memberships - 38 Full members, 8 Family member add-ons, 8 student/retired
    • Total: 54 active members

Host and Volunteer reports

  • Hosts
    • Monday (Rick): 2 - 3
    • Tuesday (Kat): 2 - 5
    • Thursday (Ray): 2 - 4
    • Wednesday night (Matthew): 2 - 4
    • Friday night: 5 - 10
    • Sunday (Barbara): No one showing up. Need to advertise. Open from 12pm - 3pm.
    • Any issues
  • Marketing -
    • Brian has been posting on Instagram and targeted ads on Facebook.
    • Rick is posting on Facebook, Meetup, Reddit and the Web site.
    • Hosts - send photos to Brian to post online.
    • Visitor (Dylan) has experience in marketing and business admin, and is part of the Porch Creek Indians. He will see about how we can be involved with them.

Old Business

  • Previous meeting minutes here: http://makerspacemobile.org/wiki/index.php/Member_meeting_6/27/2021
  • Artwalk for July was not well attended due to the rain, but there was a small crowd. Thanks to Barbara and Brian for helping out. We took the Izzy Swann table, which drew some interest - it needs to go every artwalk. 1 person from Artwalk showed up for Maker Social day and signed up.
  • Landlord has yet to install the promised floodlight out front. The wood in the parking lot was in the building across from us - it is being rebuilt on the inside, so this is temporary. He said we could have the wooden pallets, but not the plastic ones.
  • James is making more progress on the new CNC, but has been out of town.
  • Need an update from the planning committee for the metal working shop. Ray and James volunteered, and Kat will work with them. Derek volunteered to help.
    • Need to double the space. Woodpile has been cleaned up.
    • Ideas voted in for increasing income (June business meeting):
      • Charge for lockers. Suggest $15/mo for large lockers, $10/mo for smaller lockers, $5/mo for square lockers, $10/mo for a laundry basket/bin sized container to go on the shelf in the closet (will need to clean the closet). Need to coordinate with treasurer on how we will collect this.
    • Sell excess/unused stuff, or sell things we make/build. Need a plan of action for this. Matthew offered to host a class on pricing items, using Etsy and e-bay.

New Business

  • New members to be voted in: Derek voted in.
  • Elections
    • The only persons that expressed any interest in a position was Daryl Faulkner for Vice President. Brian has agreed to continue as Treasurer, and I am OK with continuing as President. We still need a secretary (Kat!!!)
    • List of members in good standing that meet the qualifications outlined in the Bylaws:
      • Rick Green
      • Kat Steele
      • Brian Wright
      • Russell Milling*
      • John Peebles*
      • Daryl Faulkner
      • Laura Faulkner
      • Jacob Barton*
      • Sarat Saini
      • Richard Foreman
      • Matthew Hinton
      • Josh Rhodes*
      • Dan Brown*
      • Bruce Marr*
      • Richard Harris
      • Ray Lamb
      • Jordan Daugherty*
      • Charles Westley Green*
      • Michael Chang*
      • Smith M Wyckoff*
      • Barbara Kelley
      • Norman Cooke*
    • David Leard
  • Events
    • 3D Printing enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Retro Computer enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Joel can be here on August 20th all day with the mobile makerspace. Needs money. Members voted down due to financial difficulty.
  • Future Events planning
    • Need more workshops and/or workgroups to plan and put on the events calendar. Are there any nights or weekends that can be dedicated to a particular topic?
      • Hot metal night with Kat (Derek also volunteered) - Tuesdays
  • New workshop, workgroup and class ideas
    • Inkscape class. Used for vinyl cutters, embroidery machine, CNC machine, and laser cutter.
    • TinkerCAD class for beginners. FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, Blender, Onshape, and/or Fusion 360 classes for intermediate and advanced. Used for 3D printing.
    • Embroidery class - Ethel and Laura?
    • Sewing/costuming/cosplay class - Ethel and Laura? Kat.
    • Upholstery class
    • Vinyl cutting class - Laura?
    • Screenprinting class - Laura?
    • Wood turning, box making, dove tail joint - David?
    • Welding class - James?
    • Gaming enthusiasts (board games, arcade games, gaming development, VR) - Brian and Daryl?
    • Hacking enthusiasts (SDR, networks, computers, blockchain, etc) - Any interest?
    • Personal finance and investing enthusiasts (Barbara is interested in this).
    • Patenting and crowdfunding enthusiasts
    • Advertising - Dylan?
    • Hat boxes for military E7 chiefs call to initiation - Derek
  • Woodshop expansion
    • The doors between the two rooms will be blocked off for extra space to use in both rooms.

Equipment/supplies

  • New equipment this month
    • Tektronix Oscilloscope
    • Signal generator
    • Variac
    • Plumbing starter kit for air compressor (needs installation)
    • Extension cord reel
    • 3D printing parts for stock
  • Equipment wish list
    • 220v outlet for welding machine - Tim can finance this. No response from electrician - will search for another one.
    • New jointer would be nice. The Delta has been adjusted.
    • Large, floor standing bandsaw would be nice
    • Foundry (Casting liquid metal) (Kat/Westley)
      • Westley to bring in a Big Green Egg. Need some help getting it to the space. No gas burner - coal only.
    • Forge (knife making, aluminum casting) (Kat/Westley)
    • Plasma cutter
    • Ceramics/pottery - Westley is very interested. - Direct them to Mobile Arts council.
      • Need tongs, hammers, safety equipment (gloves, face shields) Westley has a crucible, blower/ductwork, fuel(charcoal), consumables
      • Kat will be in charge of safety and training of all metal working equipment
    • Plumbing for air compressor (Rick Baskin)
    • Sand-blasting cabinet (Rick Baskin)
    • Ductwork for downdraft sanding table - May be able to repurpose the one from the recalled sliding radial arm saw?
    • Ductwork for the new Delta dust collector
    • 3D Scanner. Could possibly use the Kinect.
    • Industrial sewing machine. Ethel is working on getting one - this has been confirmed, and we should have it in a couple weeks.
    • Heat press for Vinyl and t-shirts
    • Hat loom for the embroidery machine - arrived
    • Sheet metal for welding table top - Kat is working on it
    • Brass heated inserts for 3D printer
  • In need of service/repair/parts
    • Old MakerBot printer. The stepper cables between the motherboard and the extruders need replacing (at minimum).
    • Wacom screen has died. Appears to be the backlight. Looking into a repair.
    • Prusa printer had a meltdown trying to print PC. New parts in and being installed.
    • Roland Sign Maker needs the PC - Bruce is supposed to be bringing it in.
  • Back in service
    • The chop saw safety guard was repaired - thanks Derek.
  • Next Meeting: August 21st 2021

Meeting adjourned 12:18pm