Open main menu

Opening remarks

Meeting Opened by Rick Green on 6/26/2021 11:00am

Member attendance: Rick, Kat, Ray, Barbara, Brian/Claudia, James, Greg

Visitor attendance: Andrew, Dylan, Sarah, Andrew Carpenter

Officer reports

What have you accomplished since the last meeting

  • President - Rick Green
    • Hosting on Monday and Friday nights.
    • Repaired Library 3D printers. Parts still on order for 1 of them.
    • Organized the electronics workbench. Still in progress.
    • Registered several new members. Gave several tours.
    • Participated in Artwalk and Maker Social (formerly known as Demo day).
    • Participated in Elks Lodge crafts and yard sale.
    • Hosted a 3D printing workshop and organized a new Retro computing group
    • Paid another 3-month update for Meetup service.
    • Met with publisher of Midtown magazine.
  • Vice President - Kat Steel
    • Hosted Tuesday nights
    • Cleaning the Makerspace, especially the wood shop.
  • Secretary - NA
    • test text
    • test text
  • Treasurer - Brian Wright - Financial report for May 2021
    • Gross income: $2074.38
    • Gross expense: $2589.09
    • Net income: -$514.71
    • Current Balance: $2435.57
    • Notes: We need more members, donations, and other funding opportunities (Grants).
    • Financial report link here:
  • Membership -
    • Numbers report - 36 Full members, 7 Family member add-ons, 9 student/retired,
    • Total: 51 active memberships

Host and Volunteer reports

  • Hosts
    • Monday (Rick): 2 - 3
    • Tuesday (Kat): 2 - 5
    • Thursday (Ray): 2 - 4
    • Wednesday night (Matthew): 4 - 5
    • Friday night: 5 - 10.
    • Sunday (Barbara): No one showing up. Need to advertise. Open from 12pm - 3pm.
    • Any issues
      • Woodshop is not being cleaned. Please clean up after yourselves! Clean up sawdust and clean the tools. Put away projects that are in progress before you leave (if possible).
  • Marketing -
    • Brian has been posting on Instagram and targeted ads on Facebook.
    • Rick is posting on Facebook, Meetup, Reddit and the Web site. Met with publishers of local magazines.
    • Hosts - send photos to Brian to post online.
    • Visitor (Dylan) has experience in marketing and business admin.

Old Business

  • Previous meeting minutes here: http://makerspacemobile.org/wiki/index.php/Member_meeting_5/22/2021
  • Artwalk for June had a lot of people. 2 people showed up for Demo day. 1 signed up, and the other is going out of town and will sign up when he returns.
  • We had our third demo day (Saturday after Artwalk).
  • Landlord has yet to install the promised floodlight out front. The wood in the parking lot was in the building across from us - it is being rebuilt on the inside, so this is temporary. He said we could have the wooden pallets, but not the plastic ones.
  • James is making progress on the new CNC.
  • Need an update from the planning committee for the metal working shop. Ray and James volunteered, and Kat will work with them.
    • Need to double the space. Downsize the wood pile, turn the lockers.
  • 3D Printing enthusiasts meeting had several people.

New Business

  • Elks Lodge craft and yard sale was a bust due to the tropical storm. We made $11.
  • Ideas for increasing income:
    • Raise the dues - ideas?
    • Charge for lockers. Suggest $15/mo for large lockers, $10/mo for smaller lockers, $5/mo for square lockers, $10/mo for a laundry basket/bin sized container to go on the shelf in the closet (will need to clean the closet). This has been approved.
    • For projects left our, have a bin just for those - the bin of shame. Posted on social media. This has been approved.
    • Request a 1 time donation from members (tax deductible) to cover costs until membership has caught up to expenses. Kat will be getting bonuses again.
    • Sell excess/unused stuff, or sell things we make/build. Need a plan of action for this.
    • Solicit business for donations and grants.
    • Rent out the paint booth or other service (Kat laser cut).
    • Have workshops and charge for them.
    • Tutoring - one on one training.
    • Once per month safety class.
  • New members to be voted in:
  • Elections
    • Need to discuss holding elections since it has now been > 1 year. List of members in good standing that meet the qualifications outlined in the Bylaws:
      • Rick Green
      • Kat Steele
      • Brian Wright
      • Russell Milling*
      • John Peebles*
      • Daryl Faulkner
      • Laura Faulkner
      • Jacob Barton*
      • Sarat Saini
      • Richard Foreman
      • Matthew Hinton
      • Josh Rhodes*
      • Dan Brown*
      • Bruce Marr*
      • Richard Harris
      • Ray Lamb
      • Jordan Daugherty*
      • Charles Westley Green*
      • Michael Chang*
      • Smith M Wyckoff*
      • Barbara Kelley
      • Norman Cooke*
    • David Leard
  • Events
    • IP Workshop scheduled for Thursday July 8th 6pm - 8pm
    • 3D Printing enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Retro Computer enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
  • Future Events planning
    • Need more workshops and/or workgroups to plan and put on the events calendar. Are there any nights or weekends that can be dedicated to a particular topic?
      • Hot metal night with Kat - Tuesdays
  • New workshop, workgroup and class ideas
    • Inkscape class. Used for vinyl cutters, embroidery machine, CNC machine, and laser cutter.
    • TinkerCAD class for beginners. FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, Blender, Onshape, and/or Fusion 360 classes for intermediate and advanced. Used for 3D printing.
    • Embroidery class - Ethel and Laura?
    • Sewing/costuming/cosplay class - Ethel and Laura? Kat.
    • Upholstery class
    • Vinyl cutting class - Laura?
    • Screenprinting class - Laura?
    • Wood turning, box making, dove tail joint - David?
    • Welding class - James?
    • Gaming enthusiasts (board games, arcade games, gaming development, VR) - Brian and Daryl?
    • Hacking enthusiasts (SDR, networks, computers, blockchain, etc) - Any interest?
    • Personal finance and investing enthusiasts (Barbara is interested in this).
    • Patenting and crowdfunding enthusiasts
    • Advertising - Dylan?

Equipment/supplies

  • New equipment this month
    • Horizontal bandsaw
    • Metal working table - Kat is getting more metal for the top.
    • Pliar crimper
    • Deburring tool
    • Metal drill bits
    • Standard taps and dies
    • Extension cord reel
  • Equipment wish list
    • 220v outlet for welding machine - Tim can finance this.
    • Extension cords
    • New jointer would be nice. The Delta has been adjusted.
    • Large, floor standing bandsaw would be nice
    • Foundry (Casting liquid metal) (Kat/Westley)
      • Westley to bring in a Big Green Egg. Need some help getting it to the space. No gas burner - coal only.
    • Forge (knife making, aluminum casting) (Kat/Westley)
    • Plasma cutter
    • Ceramics/pottery - Westley is very interested.
      • Need tongs, hammers, safety equipment (gloves, face shields) Westley has a crucible, blower/ductwork, fuel(charcoal), consumables
      • Kat will be in charge of safety and training of all metal working equipment
    • Plumbing for air compressor (Rick Baskin)
    • Sand-blasting cabinet (Rick Baskin)
    • Ductwork for downdraft sanding table - May be able to repurpose the one from the recalled sliding radial arm saw?
    • Ductwork for the new Delta dust collector
    • 3D Scanner. Could possibly use the Kinect.
    • Industrial sewing machine. Ethel is working on getting one - this has been confirmed, and we should have it in a couple weeks.
    • Heat press for Vinyl and t-shirts
    • Hat loom for the embroidery machine
    • Sheet metal for welding table top
    • Brass heated inserts for 3D printer
  • In need of service/repair/parts
    • Old MakerBot printer. The stepper cables between the motherboard and the extruders need replacing (at minimum).
    • Wacom screen has died. Appears to be the backlight. Looking into a repair.
    • Prusa printer had a meltdown trying to print PC. New parts on order.
    • Roland Sign Maker needs the PC - Bruce is supposed to be bringing it in this weekend.
  • Back in service
    • The wood bandsaw power cord has been repaired. Thanks Greg!
  • Next Meeting: July 17th 2021

Meeting adjourned 12:00pm