Member meeting 6/1/2019
Meeting Opened at 12:20 PM
- Brian Wright [BW]
- Matthew Hinton [MH]
- Jamie Hinton [JH]
- Josh Rhodes [JR]
- Rick Green [RG]
What have you accomplished over the last month, what are you going to do next, are there any roadblocks/risks.
- LAST MONTH:
- 3d printing workshop, mobicon, summer kickoff at library
- PLANS FOR NEXT MONTH:
- Current: learned about possible space at research park. This is a long-term (over a year away)
- He will meet w Chamber of commerce. Still on to-do list. It’s cost $ to be a member. $395 at least.
- Interest in Arduino class
- Tested rostock. It works.
- Makerbot is good.
Vice President -
- 3d printing worksho, library visit.
Future: will help at artwalk Chair troubleshooting
- Acting: [MH]
- 3d printing attendance, mobicon
future: plan: analyze member records based on payment. Hopefully I can look at that to get more data points for the graph. Are there bad months? Revisit the trend?
- Sent Membership historical records to analyze membership trends over time
- financial report will be sent electronically
- gross income MAY: 526.07
- gross expense MAY: 715.70
- net income MAY: -189.63
- Current Balance: $10,467.82
- operating expense – june liabilities: $9,800.37
- No one in this position
Membership [MH] Last month: This month:
- I vaguely recall the PI-day cancel. How did we miss tech day at library?
- New location survey results (as of 5/31/18 9:30 PM):
- Note: I did not take the survey as to avoid skewing the results.
- 5 out of 7 wants dues to be same: Current (Associate Member: $35/month / Full Member $50/month)
- Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-KXZLV8G6V/
- Contact these members to see if they are still interested: Todd Allen, Robert Kerry, Mike Lambert, Jared S. and Doug Wruck
- send rick draft revisit email
- David L. patched the one jointer to get it back working.
MH asks: Do we still proceed with buying a new one before move? Who’s in charge of disposing or selling old unwanted ones? A: Josh is concerned about selling old equipment. Jamie share this concern. A: Brian makes a point about funds. Selling it as “parts only”? A: Josh will handle the raislist sale as “parts-only”. Will work it out with hosts.
- Previous meeting minutes here:
- New location discussion
- Goal 1: discuss location options
- Goal 2: set next meeting date before July 4. This to decide on new location at next meeting!
- next meeting: June 29th
- new location decision details.
- [JR] Due to situation, if we could stay, then membership vote would make sense.
- [RG] Board is going to decide on location. The location won’t be put to a vote for members.
- [BW]: Agrees with both.
- At next meeting, board will present new location decision.
- Existing space dimensions reference:
- clean room/electronics workbench: 10 ft. x 22 ft.
- dirty shop/woodworking area: 16 ft x 22 ft
- Current total sq. footage: 220 + 352 = 572 sq. feet
- NOTE: We have to be out by OCT. 1 (or earlier)
- Date we have to make a decision: July 4. This is self-imposed. However, to practically build out the new space.
- Options for new location
- These are not necessarily long-term locations. Long-term possibilities include the USA research park.
- Discuss these bullets points below.
- GSUM location
- short term at best. Physical layout of future space is a concern. Upper room is awesome. Great everything except for woodworking.
- Pencil Factory owned by Dumas Wesley on 122 Randolph st.
- $5 s.f / year
- MH liked physical security of this location
- electrian requirement
*Plan: The three board members will tour the space. Take pictures if possible. Will inform MH of tour date.
*Open question: Which portion of the building?
- Storefront has A/C
- Warehouse has no A/C
*Open question: How much square footage can we afford?
- MH risk versus reward in sq. fottage
- RG : We can afford 1200 sq.ft based on current membership.
- BW: we need six months current expenses in bank ($4300). project $810 a month in expenses (without AC) for 1200 sq. feet. Plan $150 for A/C?
- JR+MH: What are expense estimates for 1500 sq. feet. ? Project $935 a month in expenses (without AC) for 1500 sq. feet. Plan $150 for A/C?
- Consensus: We are fine with asking for 1500 sq. feet. This will “burn” through cushion in seven months. This for planning purposes.
- RG and JR: 1500 sq. feet would support 50-60 members max. in theory
*Open question: Do we want to rent storage areas to members?
*Open question: Two bathrooms for building, How do we get access?
- RG: get footage near bathrooms
- Open question: Are Utilities and Trash on us ?
- MH: partner with Ninja people on trash expense
- RG: these would shared amongst tenants. We would be the first tenants
*Open Question: Can we possible get a month rent free to build out ?
*Open Question: Where do we park? Can we park in the Dumas lot ?
- Others (Government Street) ??
- These are no longer options
- Saraland location
- Update: 202 Saraland Blvd S is no longer available. This as of 5/30/2018.
- 721 Lakeside
- last meeting: Don’t think we can afford this. MH will inform relator.
- 760 St. Louis Street (Brian suggested us + DBP.) https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/760-St-Louis-St-Mobile-AL/14882228/
- [RG] This is not an option due to building condition.
- Quoting from Jenn's email on 5/6: This building is not habitable in its current condition, hence the clause in the listing.
- Carried over from older meeting as a reminder
- Tool concern: Delta Jointer broke. Craftsman jointer needs blades.
- Motion: Sell both jointer for what we can. This to buy a replacement jointer.
- Motion APPROVED not to exceed $600 plus whatever we get for the others.
Topics for next meeting
- BW. Suggest a business plan to be written for mobile makerspace. Discussed by board.
- MH : Use Survey monkey poll
- A) internal use
- b) external market reasearch. FB group (208), meetup (604), instagram (858)
- RG: Membership drive plan. Add external marketing discussion.
- Add these as agenda items for next time
*To-do: *Josh will handle jointer as discussed *Next meeting location will be handled by Rick *Next Meeting will be published to website by Brian *Goal: mine Email account “email@example.com” for contact email addresses over time. *Export to a list. This to send out a hey we are moving. *Contacts for project: brian, matthew *last meeting: Don’t think we can afford lakeside. MH will inform relator.
- June 14 : Artwalk. School of Computing Alumni will be visiting.
- NoM convention
- Date: JUNE 16
- Kat expressed interest. Needs someone to go with her.
- Next Meeting: Saturday, JUNE 29. 11:00 a.m. for members Where: TBD
- Meeting Closed at 2:50 p.m.