Member meeting 5/4/2019
Meeting Opened at 1:20 p.m.
- Jamie Hinton [JH]
- Josh Rhodes
- Matthew Hinton [MH]
- Mike Lambert
- Rick Green
What have you accomplished over the last month, what are you going to do next, are there any roadblocks/risks.
- LAST MONTH:
- Challenges hosting due to work commitments
- PLANS FOR NEXT MONTH:
- Current: learned about possible space at research park.
- He Will meet w Chamber of commerce
- Tool concern: Delta Jointer broke. Craftsman jointer needs blades. See item list
- Related that visitors from Pensacola. Couple’s name: Vicki and Mark.
- Innovation Portal: $70 donation for startup weekend trophies
Vice President -
- New location hunting
- During Hosting: noticed 4-6 visitors
- Did training of members of CNC
- Matthew asked to be Acting secretary (put to vote this time)
- 5 in favor; MH abstain
- Brian not present
- Financial report sent via email.
- Link here: http://makerspacemobile.org/wiki/images/5/52/Makerspace_Accounting_Breakdown_2019-05-04.pdf
- No one in this position
Membership - [MH]
- Planning purposes: figure 13-15 total members based over time
- Membership trend over time graph (Note: only one data point in 2016, none for summer 2017)
- Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS6E51u2g1WE0w_mF-cH7lW_rlwfLSMDCbXAz_Nb9HT1mHs1K5iF1oCoe__BPn5eQwbZSroPW1nG9pI/pubchart?oid=2018601541&format=interactive
Updated survey results https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-GRTWJLZGV/
- Discussion on membership survey. Shared concern on why likely versus strong for renew question. Will ask around as to why people feel this way.
- Shared about experiences finding a new location
- Previous meeting minutes here:
- New location discussion
- Existing space dimensions:
- clean room/electronics workbench: 10 ft. x 22 ft.
- dirty shop/woodworking area: 16 ft x 22 ft
- NOTE: We have to be out by OCT. 1
- Date we have to make a decision: July 4. This is self-imposed. However, to practically build out the new space.
- GSUM location discussion revisit
- We would be responsible for percentage of utilities.
- Pro: They want us there. They will be willing to sponsor members. No rent during build out.
- Cons: perceptions of being in a church.
- Consensus after discussion: This is fallback. Go with it in July if nothing else. Plan to stay in church 1-2 years to grow makerspace membership. During which, we plan the next location.
- See other pros/cons in previous minutes under "New Business"
- 721 Lakeside:
- Google shared folder with flyer and pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rOcfEwHbe_8FHrAagbslPStYlg_hW1Gh?usp=sharing
- Don’t think we can afford this. Ask Brian for budget.
- 760 St. Louis Street (Brian suggested us + DBP.) https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/760-St-Louis-St-Mobile-AL/14882228/
- visit Jubilee Lumber (Mike, Rick)
- Susan will ask her clients as to other location possibilities
- Josh will email guy he mentioned
- Paths forward
- Susan mentioned Makerspace doing other streams of income. This to afford rent better.
- Rick mentioned research park
- MH will email Jenn to ask if she has seen this "760-St-Louis-St"
- Done; quoting from Jenn's email on 5/6: This building is not habitable in its current condition, hence the clause in the listing.
*To-do: *visit Jubilee Lumber (Mike, Rick) *Susan will ask her clients as to other location possibilities *Josh will email guy he mentioned *MH will survey members regarding due increase feasibility *Plan Maker munchies in July. *Basement Layout plan church to be done by Rick
- Tool concern: Delta Jointer broke. Craftsman jointer needs blades.
- Motion: Sell both jointer for what we can. This to buy a replacement jointer.
- Motion APPROVED not to exceed $600 plus whatever we get for the others.
- 3d printing workshop:
- Date: Saturday, MAY 18th
- Location: Ben May library
- MOBICON 2019
- Date: MAY 24TH - 26TH 2019
- We will have a table there
- Link: http://mobilecomiccon.org/
- Next Meeting:
- Saturday, June 1 at makerspace as of noon.
- NoM convention
- Date: JUNE 16
- Meeting Closed at 3 p.m.