Open main menu

Opening remarks

Meeting Opened by Rick Green on 3/20/2021 11:00am

Member Attendance: Rick, Brian Wright, Brian Freis, Claudia, Greg, Ray, Ethel, Kat, Jim Spell, Ernie and Lawson Anderson, James, Scooter, Gary, Matthew (remotely).

Visitor Attendance: Tim and Tiger Bullock, Paul Kossik, Terry and Julie.

Officer reports

What have you accomplished since the last meeting

  • President -
    • Hosted Friday nights. Participated in Artwalk last Friday, which brought in some new members. Hosted Pi day last weekend. Starting the 3D printing workgroup today with the first meeting. Cleaned and re-arranged the clean room for Pi Day.
    • Friday night numbers: Between 10 - 12


  • Vice President -
    • Hosting on Tuesday nights. Brought furnace bricks for a foundry/forge with Wesley. Helped with Artwalk and helped on some Friday nights.
    • test text
    • Tuesday night numbers: 3 - 10


  • Secretary - NA
  • test text
  • test text


  • Treasurer -
    • Gross income:
    • Gross expense:
    • Net income:
    • Current Balance: $5844.12
    • Operating expense – liabilities: $2563.34
    • Financial report link here:


  • Membership -
  • Numbers report - Feb has 3 - 4 new members. March has 6 new members so far.
  • Total: 37 active memberships.

Host and Volunteer reports

  • Hosts
    • Thursday (Ray): 2 - 4
    • Wednesday night (Matthew): 0 - 5
    • Any issues ?
  • Marketing -
    • Brian has been posting on Instagram and targeted ads on Facebook. Rick is posting on Facebook, Meetup, Reddit and the Web site.
    • Hosts - send photos to Brian to post online.
    • Kat is planning CNC workshop in May.
    • Rick is planning an Arduino workshop in April.

Old Business

  • Previous meeting minutes here: http://makerspacemobile.org/wiki/index.php/Member_meeting_2/20/2021
  • Artwalk for March had a great turnout. Talked to many people. Several visited on Pi day, and a couple of them signed up as new members.
  • Pi day was successful, but attendance was fairly low. Very few members showed up, and we had about 12 visitors.
  • Barbara suggested having a monthly 2nd Saturday after Artwalk to open for tours.

New Business

  • Met with the Landlord at Artwalk. He is working on getting us a floodlight out front.
  • Need to re-arrange the dirty room.
  • Need a planning committee for the metal working shop. Ray and David volunteered, and Kat will work with them.
  • New members to be voted in:
    • Ethel Nix
    • Brian Freis and Claudia
    • Alvin Elmore
  • Future Events planning
    • 3D Printing workgroup - first meeting is today!
    • Need more workshops to plan and put on the events calendar. Are there any nights or weekends that can be dedicated to a particular topic?
    • First Saturday of month - workshop day
    • Second Saturdays Demo Day (after Artwalk)
    • Third Saturday Business meetings and 3D printer workgroup

Equipment/supplies

  • New equipment this month
    • Roland Sign Maker. Still needs a computer with software. Thanks Bruce!
    • Welding machine - thanks James!
    • ShopSmith with many attachments is operational - thanks Ray!
    • New woodworkers vise attached to the finishing workbench - thanks David!
    • Firebrick - thanks Kat!
    • HP Power supplies - thanks Stewart!
    • Wyze Wifi cameras on order - thanks David!
  • Equipment wish list
    • New jointer would be nice. The Delta is out of alignment and the Craftsman has bad and hard to find blades. Delta will be adjusted as we consider getting a new jointer.
    • Foundry (Casting liquid metal) (Kat/Westley)
      • Westley to bring in a Big Green Egg. Need some help getting it to the space. No gas burner - coal only.
    • Forge (knife making, aluminum casting) (Kat/Westley)
    • Ceramics/pottery - Westley is very interested.
      • Need tongs, hammers, safety equipment (gloves, face shields) Westley has a crucible, firebrick, blower/ductwork, fuel(charcoal), consumables
      • Kat will be in charge of safety and training of all metal working equipment
    • Plumbing for air compressor (Rick Baskin)
    • Sand-blasting cabinet (Rick Baskin)
    • Ductwork for downdraft sanding table - May be able to repurpose the one from the recalled sliding radial arm saw?
    • 3D Scanner. Possibly using the Kinect.
  • In need of service/repair/parts
    • Old MakerBot printer. The stepper cables between the motherboard and the extruders need replacing (at minimum).
    • Wacom screen has died. Appears to be the backlight. Looking into a repair.
  • Next Meeting: April 17th 11am.

Meeting adjourned 12:15pm