Open main menu

Opening remarks

Meeting Opened by Rick Green on 11/20/2021 11:00am

Member attendance: Rick, Greg, Ethel, Ray, Charles, Barbara, Kat, Yancee

Visitor attendance:

Thanks to Rick and Kat for supplying donuts.

Officer reports

What have you accomplished since the last meeting

  • President - Rick Green
    • Hosting Friday nights.
    • Organized the electronics workbench. Still in progress.
    • Registered several new members. Gave several tours.
    • Participated in Artwalk and Maker Social. 4 visitors - at least 1 became a member.
    • Hosted a 3D printing workshop and Retro computing group.
  • Vice President - Kat Steel
    • Hosted Tuesday nights
    • Worked on the MSLA printer
    • Built some boxes for Artwalk
  • Secretary - NA
    • test text
    • test text
  • Treasurer - Brian Wright - Financial report for October 2021
    • Gross income: $3,448.81
    • Gross expense: $2,615.23
    • Net income: -$945.28
    • Current Balance: $6,075.19
      • We need more members, donations, and other funding opportunities (Grants).
    • Financial report link here:
  • Membership -
    • Numbers report for October 2021
      • xx memberships - xx Full members, xx Family member add-ons, xx student/retired
    • Total: 45 active members

Host and Volunteer reports

  • Hosts
    • Monday (Derek): 1 - 3
    • Tuesday (Kat): 2 - 3
    • Thursday (Ray): 2 - 3
    • Wednesday night (Matthew): 1 - 3
    • Friday night: 5 - 7
    • Sunday (Barbara): 2 - 3. Open from 12pm - 3pm.
    • Any issues
      • Cleanliness of the space could be better. Please clean up after yourselves. Also be sure to clean the equipment.
      • Post in Slack any projects that are left out. Post them in general - be sure to leave any instructions on when it can be moved.
  • Marketing -
    • Brian has been posting on Instagram and targeted ads on Facebook. Need to post more things on Facebook. Brian can only boost Facebook events if they are posted with the Makerspace account.
    • Rick is posting on Facebook, Meetup, Reddit and the Web site.
    • Hosts - send photos to Brian to post online. Post them in the Social Media channel on Slack.

Old Business

  • Previous meeting minutes here: http://makerspacemobile.org/wiki/index.php/Member_meeting_10/16/2021
  • Artwalk for November was the OK, not in the best location.
  • Ray is continuing to expand the metal working area.
    • Ideas voted in for increasing income (June business meeting):
      • Charge for lockers. Suggest $15/mo for large lockers, $10/mo for smaller lockers, $5/mo for square lockers, $10/mo for a laundry basket/bin sized container to go on the shelf in the closet (will need to clean the closet). Need an update on this from Treasurer.
    • Sell excess/unused stuff, or sell things we make/build.
      • Ray sold stuff at the HAM fest. Made $42
    • Matthew offered to host a class on pricing items, using Etsy and e-bay. Charles is interested in this as well.
    • Sale available in December 4th 9am - 3pm at the Elks lodge.
  • Events
    • 3D Printing enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Retro Computer enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Planning a welding class. Money has been received to install the 220v outlet - need an electrician.
    • Doug has a acetylene torch, can bring it in and teach others.
    • Greg and Rick planning to be here Black Friday and Saturday to work on the sign maker.
    • Artwalk is Friday December 10th. Anyone available to help?
    • Holiday Bazaar Dec 4th, Cooper Riverside Park 10am - 2pm
    • Holiday Extravaganza Dec 18th James Seals Park 10am - 2pm
  • Future Events planning
    • Holiday craft show at the Elks lodge December 4th 9am - 3pm.
    • ASMS Silent auction November 29th. Looking for donations to auction off.
    • Need more workshops and/or workgroups to plan and put on the events calendar. Are there any nights or weekends that can be dedicated to a particular topic?
      • Hot metal night with Kat (Derek also volunteered) - Tuesdays
      • Sewing and embroidery night with Ethel and Laura. Ethel needs to find availability first.
      • Mobicon - Kat is interested in hosting a breakout session
  • New workshop, workgroup and class ideas
    • Inkscape class. Used for vinyl cutters, embroidery machine, CNC machine, and laser cutter.
    • Tool restoration class (Mathew and David)
    • TinkerCAD class for beginners. FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, Blender, Onshape, and/or Fusion 360 classes for intermediate and advanced. Used for 3D printing.
    • Embroidery class - Ethel and Laura?
    • Sewing/costuming/cosplay class - Ethel and Laura? Kat.
    • Upholstery class
    • Vinyl cutting class - Laura?
    • Screenprinting class - Laura?
    • Wood turning, box making, dove tail joint - David?
    • Welding class - James?
    • Gaming enthusiasts (board games, arcade games, gaming development, VR) - Brian and Daryl?
    • Hacking enthusiasts (SDR, networks, computers, blockchain, etc) - Any interest?
    • Personal finance and investing enthusiasts (Barbara is interested in this).
    • Patenting and crowdfunding enthusiasts
    • Advertising - Dylan?
    • Hat boxes for military E7 chiefs call to initiation - Derek
    • Christmas ornaments.
    • Ukranian Easter eggs. Psynka. (Kat)

New Business

  • New members to be voted in: Charles Carpenter

Equipment/supplies

  • Inventory list needs updating!!! Ray is available on Thursday nights 7 - 9pm for inventory.
  • New equipment this month
      • MSLA Printer
      • Instrument clamps (made by Kat)
  • Equipment wish list
    • 220v outlet for welding machine - Tim has the financing already, just need an electrician.
    • New jointer would be nice. The Delta has been adjusted. Bruce bought the Craftsman jointer - it is now gone!
    • Large, floor standing resaw bandsaw would be nice
    • Plasma cutter
    • Foundry (Casting liquid metal) (Kat/Westley) Will wait until the metal working area is ready.
      • Westley to bring in a Big Green Egg. Need some help getting it to the space. No gas burner - coal only.
    • Forge (knife making, aluminum casting) (Kat/Westley)
      • Need tongs, hammers, safety equipment (gloves, face shields) Westley has a crucible, blower/ductwork, fuel(charcoal), consumables
      • Kat will be in charge of safety and training of all metal working equipment
    • Plumbing for air compressor (Rick Baskin). This is here - needs to be assembled.
    • Sand-blasting cabinet (Rick Baskin)
    • Ductwork for the new Delta dust collector
    • 3D Scanner. Could possibly use the Kinect.
    • Prusa XL
  • In need of service/repair/parts
    • Old MakerBot printer. Parts are in - Greg has been working on this
    • Prusa printer is reassembled and undergoing testing/calibration.
    • Roland Sign Maker needs some service work. Probably just needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Bruce is bringing a hardcopy of the service manual.
    • Newly donated laser cutter needs to be looked at. I was told that it needs the mirrors adjusted. (Kat taking responsibility).
    • All newly donated 3D printers need some work. Parts arrived for the Prusa.
  • Back in service
    • Horizontal band saw
  • Next Meeting: No time available in December for anyone. Skip until January 22nd.

Meeting adjourned: 11:50am