Member meeting 1/21/2022

From Makerspace Mobile Wiki

Opening remarks

Meeting Opened by Rick Green on 1/21/2022 11:00am

Member attendance: Rick, Matthew, Brian, James, Derek, Aaron, Gina, Stewart, Charles Remote: Kat, Barbara, Ray, Darryl

Visitor attendance: Frankin Ludgood (from meetup)

Officer reports

What have you accomplished since the last meeting

  • President - Rick Green
    • Hosting Friday nights.
    • Organized the electronics workbench. Still in progress.
    • Registered several new members. Gave several tours.
    • Participated in Artwalk and Maker Social. 3 visitors - 3 people signed up (2 students and 1 retired person).
    • Hosted a 3D printing workshop and Retro computing group.
  • Vice President - Kat Steel
    • Hosted Tuesday nights
    • Rebooting the plan to build the forge
    • Brought in a wood identification book - by the wood pile
  • Secretary - NA
    • test text
    • test text
  • Treasurer - Brian Wright - Financial report for January 2022
    • Gross income: $
    • Gross expense: $
    • Net income:
    • Current Balance: $4038.70
      • We need more members, donations, and other funding opportunities (Grants).
    • Financial report link here:
  • Membership -
    • Numbers report for October 2021
      • xx memberships - xx Full members, xx Family member add-ons, xx student/retired
    • Total: xx active members

Host and Volunteer reports

  • Hosts
    • Monday (Derek): 1 - 3
    • Tuesday (Kat): 2 - 3
    • Thursday (Ray): 2 - 3
    • Wednesday night (Matthew): 1 - 3
    • Friday night: 3 - 7
    • Sunday (Barbara): 2 - 3. Open from 12pm - 3pm.
    • Any issues
      • Cleanliness of the space could be better. Please clean up after yourselves. Also be sure to clean the equipment.
      • Post in Slack any projects that are left out. Post them in general - be sure to leave any instructions on when it can be moved.
  • Marketing -
    • Brian has been posting on Instagram and targeted ads on Facebook. Need to post more things on Facebook. Brian can only boost Facebook events if they are posted with the Makerspace account.
    • Rick is posting on Facebook, Meetup, Reddit and the Web site.
    • Hosts - send photos to Brian to post online. Post them in the Social Media channel on Slack.
    • Rick will do the podcast with Bluefish this week.

Old Business

  • Previous meeting minutes here:
  • Artwalk for December was the OK, not in the best location.
    • Ideas voted in for increasing income (June business meeting):
      • Charge for lockers. Suggest $15/mo for large lockers, $10/mo for smaller lockers, $5/mo for square lockers, $10/mo for a laundry basket/bin sized container to go on the shelf in the closet (will need to clean the closet). Need an update on this from Treasurer.
    • Sell excess/unused stuff, or sell things we make/build.
    • Matthew offered to host a class on pricing items, using Etsy and e-bay. Charles is interested in this as well.
  • Events
    • 3D Printing enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Retro Computer enthusiasts - meets today (and monthly)
    • Planning a welding class. 220v circuit installed!
    • Artwalk is Friday February 11th. Anyone available to help?
  • Future Events planning
    • Need more workshops and/or workgroups to plan and put on the events calendar. Are there any nights or weekends that can be dedicated to a particular topic?
      • Hot metal night with Kat (Derek also volunteered) Welding and metal casting - Tuesdays
      • Sewing and embroidery night with Ethel and Laura. Ethel needs to find availability first.
      • Mobicon - Kat is interested in hosting a breakout session
  • New workshop, workgroup and class ideas
    • Inkscape class. Used for vinyl cutters, embroidery machine, CNC machine, and laser cutter (Kat)
    • Tool restoration class (Mathew and David)
    • TinkerCAD class for beginners. FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, Blender, Onshape, and/or Fusion 360 classes for intermediate and advanced. Used for 3D printing. (James, Kat, Charles)
    • 3D sculpting (Z-brush, SculptGL, Blender)
    • KiCad - Stewart
    • Embroidery class - Ethel and Laura?
    • Sewing/costuming/cosplay class - Ethel and Laura? Kat.
    • Upholstery class
    • Vinyl cutting class - Laura?
    • Screenprinting class - Laura?
    • Wood turning, box making, dove tail joint - David, Derek
    • Welding class - James, Kat
    • Gaming enthusiasts (board games, arcade games, gaming development, VR) - Brian and Daryl?
    • Hacking enthusiasts (SDR, networks, computers, blockchain, etc) - Any interest?
    • Personal finance and investing enthusiasts (Barbara is interested in this).
    • Patenting and crowdfunding enthusiasts
    • Advertising - Dylan?
    • Hat boxes for military E7 chiefs call to initiation - Derek
    • Easter and Mardi Gras ornaments.
    • Ukranian Easter eggs. Psynka. (Kat)
    • Machining class - Ray has a person to teach it soon

New Business

  • New members to be voted in: Stewart, Sue, Aaron


  • Inventory list needs updating!!! Ray is available on Thursday nights 7 - 9pm for inventory.
  • New equipment this month
      • 220v circuit for welding machine
      • Clamps
      • Router pocket hole machine
  • Equipment wish list
    • New jointer would be nice. The Delta has been adjusted. Bruce bought the Craftsman jointer - it is now gone!
    • Large, floor standing resaw bandsaw would be nice
    • Plasma cutter
    • Foundry (Casting liquid metal) (Kat/Westley) Will wait until the metal working area is ready.
      • Westley to bring in a Big Green Egg. Need some help getting it to the space. No gas burner - coal only.
    • Forge (knife making, aluminum casting) (Kat/Westley)
      • Need tongs, hammers, safety equipment (gloves, face shields) Westley has a crucible, blower/ductwork, fuel(charcoal), consumables
      • Kat will be in charge of safety and training of all metal working equipment
    • Plumbing for air compressor (Rick Baskin). This is here - needs to be assembled.
    • Sand-blasting cabinet (Rick Baskin)
    • Ductwork for the new Delta dust collector
    • 3D Scanner. Could possibly use the Kinect.
    • Prusa XL - on pre-order!
  • In need of service/repair/parts
    • Old MakerBot printer. Parts are in - Greg has been working on this
    • Prusa printer without MMU needs calibration
    • Roland Sign Maker is making progress. Still needs some work.
    • Full spectrum laser cutter has been moved to a more permanent location. I was told that it needs the mirrors adjusted. (Kat taking responsibility).
    • MSLA printer needs to be tested and calibrated
    • Harbor Freight Chopsaw needs maintenance
    • 110v Welding machine

  • Back in service
    • Prusa printer with MMU
    • Ender 3 is working
    • Lazarus is working! Could use some calibration on the hot end and retraction settings, though.
  • Projects
    • Smoker project 2022 - 10th anniversary edition
  • Next Meeting: Feb 12th Valentines day theme

Meeting adjourned:12:40pm