Supporting Our Medical Community: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
How You Can Help
The Mobile Makerspace is currently printing different personal protection equipment (PPE) items for our local medical community in the fight against COVID-19 and the coronavirus.
We are printing face shields and masks on our 3D printers. Our friends at the Mobile Public Library have also loaned us additional printers, but financial support is needed for materials and parts to repair one broken printer.
Sample of the masks and face shields we’ve printed.
Donations Directly Support Our Mobile Community
Contributions for this project may be sent quickly through PayPal (link below) or by donating to the Mobile Makerspace GoFundMe page. You can also mail a donation to Mobile Makerspace, PO Box 8712, Mobile, AL 36689-0712.
- $25 buys a spool of PLA plastic filament. From each spool, we can make approximately 40 face shield holders (NIH v2 design), 4 to 8 face shield holders (Prusa design) or quite a few “ear-savers” (details soon).
- $125 will buy replacement part(s) to repair the one broken 3D printer. Alternately, if you have spare Prusa i3 mk3 parts you can donate, please contact us. (Photos and additional info below*)
- Any amount helps. For example, the electricity costs to operate a 3D printer for 4 hours is about $0.10. Each face shield takes 1 to 2 hours to print, depending on the design. So, even $5 will be appreciated.
Mobile Makerspace is a 501c3 non-profit organization. All donations are 100% tax deductible.
Please use our Donation Receipt Form to receive tax deduction benefits for your donation.
We are also in need of the following items to complete the COVID-19 masks and face shields we have printed.
If you have any of the items below, please contact us.
Transparencies for Shields
- Avery – Clear Easy View Durable Plastic Dividers (Item 16741)
- Office Depot – “Clear gloss poly binding cover” (Item 459-207)
- Fellowes – Crystals Presentation Covers with Round Corners, 8mil, 11 1/4 x 8 3/4, Clear (Item 52311)
Elastic for the Headband
- 7”x1/8” rubber bands
- 13” strip of 3/4″ wide buttonhole elastic
*Needed Parts for Prusa i3 mk3 3D Printer
If you have any spare Prusa i3 mk3 parts that can be donated, please contact us. The extruder/stepper motor for one of our units needs to be replaced.
Stay safe and thanks for visiting.